Moodle Blog

How to use the Activity Locking course format

As a follow on to this post where I show how to install the Activity Locking course format for Moodle 1.9, created by Chardelle Busch, here is a short screencast where I have tried to set up 3 activities in sequence that all must be completed with certain requirements. I’ve tried to make it a bit clearer than the earlier one – it’s not perfect but it might help get people started.

Dieser Beitrag wurde am Sunday, 16. August 2009 um 17:00 Uhr veröffentlicht und wurde unter der Kategorie Moodle abgelegt. Du kannst die Kommentare zu diesen Eintrag durch den RSS-Feed verfolgen. Du hast die Möglichkeit einen Kommentar zu hinterlassen, oder einen Trackback von deinem Weblog zu senden.

«  –  »

11 Comments »

1. Thanks for the introduction to the Activity Locking Module!

Do you know of any other modules that control access to activities with in or across courses with prereq’s? I’d love to see what other options Moodle has to offer….

thanks!
    Kevin

Comment: Kevin – 19. August 2009 @ 8:01 pm

2. Mary, thanks for the demo. I’ve added a link to here from http://docs.moodle.org/en/Development:Activity_Locking

Kevin, conditional activities coming in Moodle 2.0 will allow you to restrict the availability of any activity according to certain conditions such as dates, grade obtained, or activity completion. For further details, please see http://docs.moodle.org/en/Conditional_activities

Comment: Helen Foster – 10. September 2009 @ 8:42 am

3. I don’t see any locks by my activities when I have editing turned on. How do I get them to display?
    Thanks for any help you can give me.

Comment: Laura – 26. November 2009 @ 8:23 pm

4. Hi Laura. Did you install the Activity Locking format to your Moodle as in my previous screencast? If so, have you selected this course format in the course admin block>settings of the particular course where you want the locks?

Comment: admin – 27. November 2009 @ 9:12 am

5. No, I didn’t read carefully enough…so thanks for pointing it out to me again!

Comment: Laura – 28. November 2009 @ 5:30 am

6. I am having the same trouble that Laura was having in this thread. I’ve installed all of the elements of AL for my version 1.9.2. However, I do not see the lock icons after any of the activities. I was not able to view your screencast showing the proper installation. Any help you could provide would be appreciated.

Bill

Comment: Bill Parsons – 14. April 2010 @ 7:34 pm

7. Hi there. Does this help? A new version of the Activity Locking course format? http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=128318&parent=634074#p650112

Comment: Mary – 22. April 2010 @ 8:33 pm

8. My host installed AL_format_1.9.9 per the instructions contained within the zip file, but I cannot get it to work. I am using 1.9.9+, but the padlock shows up only transiently, so I have to be quick to click on the correct padlock. I then get a list of all my course elements with checkboxes, and mark the element in question as user is required to access, mark display as Yes, and Yes for show activity prereqs, and Save Activity Locks, and nothing changes. In the course it says there are 0 locks for this course!

As nothing is like the video above, so what am I doing wrong. Are there better instructions for the version I am using?

Comment: Deb Smith – 07. November 2010 @ 8:06 pm

9. Do you have Ajax enabled? Have you tried disabling Ajax and seeing if that makes a difference? I haven’t installed this version myself so can’t comment but in http://www.moodle.org it does seem to be working ok see here http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=157911&parent=691824 How about asking on the main forum so its creator will see your query?

Comment: admin – 07. November 2010 @ 9:56 pm

10. Thanks, I’ll do that.

Comment: Deb Smith – 07. November 2010 @ 10:29 pm

11. Disabling AJAX has allowed me to see the padlocks whenever I have editing turned on, but it is having no effect on the locking of elements as it still says there are 0 locks for the course. I have posted in the forum, so I hope someone replies who has played with this version.

Comment: Deb Smith – 07. November 2010 @ 10:40 pm