Moodle Blog

Don’t use i-Spring free on your Moodle VLE

One of the problems with teachers uploading PowerPoints to Moodle -or indeed any VLE/LMS – is that not all their students have MS Office at home.  Even if they do, they might have an earlier version and therefore not be able to open their teachers’s 2007  masterpiece. While there are many workarounds – offer Powerpoint Viewer or (better) use OpenOffice, another solution is to convert to Flash. This can be done easily in OpenOffice but if your presentation is – perish the thought!- full of whizzy animations and transitions then they won’t transfer.  Enter iSpring free – a free Powerpoint to Flash converter that converts your slideshows with animations  -with sound -with video –  and even with your exploding text if you really have to… It’s been used and recommended amongst the Moodle community for over a year now. It’s been mentioned in several Moodle books from Packt and by  other Moodle bloggers such as Ian Usher. But the other day a county ICT advisor alerted me to the fact that he’d been refused permission to use iSpring free on his Moodle. The terms and conditions state that iSpring free is for personal use only, such as in blogs and websites. I  – and I daresay many other happy Moodlers -had assumed personal use meant an individual  teacher could put on a iSpring version of their lesson’s Powerpoint for their own individual class within Moodle (or Frog, or Fronter..) But no. When I double-checked the response I got was – quote:

iSpring Free is for personal non-commercial use only. It cannot be used for creating public presentations of any kind, even for educational purposes. I am sorry about that. …We are glad to provide educational establishments representatives with a 25% discount in case of purchasing a single license of iSpring Pro, a great tool for elearning courses authoring. The original price of the product is $249. Considering your academic status, the price will be $186.75.

Sadly, my school is unwilling to pay the  reduced $186.75 and so I am on the lookout for alternatives.   For my part, I shall suggest to the company that their make the terms of usage for the free version much clearer, particularly with the prevalence of VLEs and the need to find a suitable way to make presentations viewable by all users. For your part, Dear Readers – if  you have iSpring free on your class pages – take them off! Or else, of course,  buy the pro version and get a licence. And if you have that sort of money perhaps you might like to buy one for me too…

Dieser Beitrag wurde am Monday, 23. November 2009 um 19:12 Uhr veröffentlicht und wurde unter der Kategorie Moodle abgelegt. Du kannst die Kommentare zu diesen Eintrag durch den RSS-Feed verfolgen. Du hast die Möglichkeit einen Kommentar zu hinterlassen, oder einen Trackback von deinem Weblog zu senden.

«  –  »

10 Comments »

1. I received this tweet from iSpringPro this morning:

@moodlefairy @awyatt A new version will be released in January. And iSpring Free will be available for classroom use.

So do you think this is a legitimate account, or a spoof?? After all, you can’t exactly authenticate who is behind a twitter account. And this one is clearly a brand new account.

The plot thickens!

Comment: atw – 23. November 2009 @ 9:08 pm

2. 🙁

Comment: Lorenz – 23. November 2009 @ 11:04 pm

3. Yes- I received the tweet too, and asked for clarification because I too wondered. I haven’t had a reply yet. I ‘ll be more than happy to post an update here if the free version will be available for classroom use – but “classroom use” needs to be defined. We need “Moodle etc” use, rather than the permission simply to use within our F2F classrooms. I await further information 🙂

Comment: admin – 27. November 2009 @ 9:07 am

4. We’re using Google Docs to provide an embeddable version of powerpoints for the VLE. While we’ve got the Apps for Education package in school, any Google Docs account will let you upload powerpoint presentations and embed them.

Comment: Dave Stacey – 01. December 2009 @ 10:10 am

5. I use a screen recorder (BB Flash Recorder right now…freeware…but there are others) to create Flash versions of PowerPoints. These include my voice, so it’s almost as good as sitting in my class during the actual presentation.

Comment: Lowell – 24. March 2010 @ 6:00 am

6. Great news! iSpring Free is now available for education purposes, quote: iSpring Free comes as a freeware for personal, educational and non-profit use only, for unlimited period of time free of charge.

Comment: Nina – 22. November 2010 @ 5:43 pm

7. I have now blogged to this effect 🙂 http://www.moodleblog.org/?p=362

Comment: admin – 24. November 2010 @ 8:39 pm

8. Hi, all!

As an employee of iSpring, I’d like to wholeheartedly confirm Nina’s comment that iSpring Free is now 100% FREE for teachers for any and all educational purposes.

Unfortunately, Mary, your link (http://www.moodleblog.org/?p=362) seems broken for me. I can only hope that the entire Moodle community is now aware that iSpring Free MEANS iSpring Free. 🙂

Thanks, everyone, and sorry for the confusion!

-Brian Tarr
    iSpring Solutions
    +1 800 640 0868
    support@ispringsolutions.com

Comment: Brian Tarr – 21. May 2015 @ 6:34 pm

9. Oh, one more thing:

Hope you all find the above link helpful! 🙂

-b

Comment: Brian Tarr – 21. May 2015 @ 6:35 pm

10. Link is here: http://www.moodleblog.net/2010/11/24/you-can-use-ispring-on-your-moodle-vle/

Comment: admin – 23. May 2015 @ 7:28 pm